Emily and the Rainbow Junktion team are responding incredibly well to a difficult situation. Here’s an update on their work. See at the end for what you can do to help them!
What are they doing
They are serving takeaway food every Monday and Thursday lunchtimes. They have a shop on Monday, Thursday and Friday lunchtimes. They are doing a small number of food deliveries to self-isolating individuals and families. They are acting as a food hub for Hyde Park/Headingley and Woodhouse/Little London wards.
How many people are they supporting
They are giving out 100 or more food parcels per week and on average in April 154 plates of food per day.
Some funding has been lost as there are no bistros, much lower daily donations as people are struggling more financially and they can’t run the half marathon which was a big fundraiser last year.
Some funding has been gained from Leeds Community Foundation, the Council and more individual donations (thank you if that is you!)
Food supplies have changed considerably in this time with some shops and projects have much less and some new supplies have come in. It is quite feast and famine!
Safety provisions for staff and volunteers
The team are taking lots of precautions:
- Serving from the door so only volunteers are in the building
- Volunteers advised to stay home if they have any symptoms
- Doors propped open so no one touches them
- Strict rules on gloves, masks and social distancing
Conclusion, Emily writes:
· The last few weeks have been a steep learning curve but I think we have reacted quickly and well to the crisis. We have definitely got into a rhythm and we are really proud of the work we are doing.
· It is hard to predict how long this will last or how things will change in the coming weeks but I think we are well prepared and flexible enough to continue as we are doing for the foreseeable future.
How you can help
- Donating financially: a/c sort code 40-52-40, a/c number 00031454
Find out about adding Gift Aid, and Paypal donations here
- Pray for safety for them all
- Donating items: If you are walking past on your daily exercise and want to drop some items in the café, useful things are tinned tomatoes, tinned beans, oil, Tupperware pots, shopping bags and baby wipes. Please don’t put yourselves at risk or make unnecessary journeys for this.
Thanks to Anna Bland for this update.