This section will be an ongoing project to record the history of All Hallows Church in Leeds. If you have information or stories concerning All Hallows past do please contact us. Origins “The origins of All Hallows Church can be traced back to 1876 when a temporary wooden church building was erected in Hartwell Road. The foundation stone for All Hallows Church was laid in 1885 with the consecration taking place a year later. Both duties were performed by the Bishop of Ripon and the new church was situated between Hyde Park Road and Regent Terrace.” The architects for the original All Hallows Church were the Leeds based Kelly and Birchall who were architects for a number of Leeds churches including St Agnes Church in Burmantofts. The estimated cost for building the church was £10,585 and the church was built of local Meanwood and Potternewton stone. The first vicar was the Rev. Frederick John Jomini.
Photo from the Leodis website
The Tetley family, as in Tetley Brewery, had connections with the church. One of these is on the Tetley family page.
The old church was burnt down on 27 April 1970. The current church building was build in two phases.
To be continued …..